• 1-888-476-8737

This site uses a level of encryption that ensures all the information you submit remains confidential.

Copyright © 1998-2017 The Personal Insurance Company. All rights reserved.

Frequently Asked Insurance Questions

By Law, What Coverages Must I Have?

To drive a vehicle, you must have the following, minimum insurance coverage:

Third party liability

This coverage protects you if you’re involved in an accident and you damage someone’s property, or if you injure or kill someone. According to provincial law, you must have at least $200,000 in third party liability coverage, but most people choose a limit of $1,000,000 or $2,000,000.

Accident Benefits

This coverage protects you if you or someone in your family is injured or killed in an accident, whether it’s your fault or not. It includes supplementary medical, rehabilitation, attendant care, caregiver, non-earner, and income replacement benefits.

Direct Compensation Property Damage (DCPD)

This coverage protects you for damage to your car in an accident that’s not entirely your fault. It’s called Direct Compensation because instead of recovering damages from someone else’s insurance company, you deal directly with us.

For example, if you’re at fault for 50% of an accident, the DCPD covers you for half of the repairs. The other half is covered by the optional Collision portion of your policy, if you bought this coverage. In such an accident, you would also have to pay for half of your deductible.

Uninsured Motorist

This coverage protects you and your family if you’re injured or killed by a hit-and-run driver, or by the driver of an uninsured or unidentified automobile.

It also covers your automobile and its contents for damage caused by an identified, uninsured motorist, and it is subject to a deductible.

Other coverage is optional, but is often required by insurers when you purchase or lease a vehicle. To find out more, read Choosing the Right Kind of Auto Insurance.

Get a Quote

Secured by Entrust