• 1-888-476-8737

This site uses a level of encryption that ensures all the information you submit remains confidential.

Copyright © 1998-2017 The Personal Insurance Company. All rights reserved.
An up-to-date policy ensures...

Updating Service

The world of property insurance is constantly changing, so it’s important that your policy coverage be reviewed regularly. At The Personal we make it our business to review your situation and update your policy regularly. We want to make sure you’re well protected and that you benefit from the fairest and most competitive premiums.

Call The Personal to talk to an agent and take advantage of our personalized updating service to tailor your coverage to meet your changing needs.

Keeping Your Policy Up to Date

To make updating your policy easier, please take a few moments to review the following information so that when you call us, we’ll be able to review your policy with you and ensure it’s up to date.

Roof Features

  • A skylight is an opening, similar to a window, usually found on the roof. It’s important to check your skylights periodically. Water staining on the inside surface of the ceiling or wall is a definite sign of water seepage.
  • A valley is a V-shaped intersection between two roof panels. Rainwater is drawn to roof valleys, making them more vulnerable to leaks.. It’s important to check the joint seals. If they start to lift, water could seep into your home.
  • A dormer is a window that is set vertically into a sloping roof.

Water Heaters

If you’re not sure when your water heater was installed, look for a label or sticker on the tank. If your water heater is rented, your supplier will be able to tell you how old it is.

As a preventive measure, we strongly recommend that you have the tank replaced when it reaches its life expectancy.

As a tank ages, it can start to rust or leak, which could cause water damage. Quite often, there are no visible signs of wear, so leaks can come as quite a surprise – and cause a lot of damage. Check occasionally to see if there’s any water around the tank or on the floor.

Electrical Wiring, Amperage and Knob and Tube Wiring

Electrical capacity is most often indicated on the panel above the main circuit breaker. It may also be displayed on a certification label on the electrical panel door. The capacity is indicated in amps (symbol: A). If in doubt, contact an electrician.

Knob and tube wiring was used from the late 1800s until approximately 1945. In this system, insulated conductive wires are run through porcelain insulators called “knobs” and other porcelain insulators called “tubes.” In many cases, this type of wiring has deteriorated or cracked or is missing insulation, which can lead to fires.

Galvanized Steel

Galvanized steel pipes were installed in homes prior to 1950 and have a life expectancy of 40-50 years. Over time, these pipes begin to rust and corrode from the inside out, reducing water pressure and restricting water flow. This makes the pipes more likely to leak or rupture, which could cause extensive water damage.

Backwater Valve

A backwater valve is a device that prevents sewage in an overloaded main sewer line from backing up into your basement (during heavy rainfall, for example). Backflow can occur in a sink, toilet, shower, or laundry tub. The valve automatically closes if sewage backs up from the main sewer. If your home has one, it will be located above ground level or in the floor, usually near the water main, three to four feet from a foundation wall.

Floor-level valve

Floor-level valve
The only visible part is usually
a round cover.

Above-ground valve

Above-ground valve
If it is in a wall, a trapdoor should provide access.