• 1-888-476-8737

This site uses a level of encryption that ensures all the information you submit remains confidential.

Copyright © 1998-2017 The Personal General Insurance Inc. All rights reserved.
An up-to-date policy ensures...

Updating Service

The world of property insurance is constantly changing. To provide you with customized coverage, The Personal makes a point of updating your policy on a regular basis. We make sure that you’re well protected and that you benefit from the fairest and most competitive premiums.

Call The Personal to talk to an agent and take advantage of our personalized updating service to tailor your coverage to your new circumstances.

Keeping Your Policy Current

To make updating your policy easier, have a look at the following required information and learn why it’s important to your property insurance coverage:

How watertight are your roof valleys?

A valley is V-shaped intersection between two roof panels. This is where water flows the most, which means valleys are often more vulnerable to leaks.

In what year was your water heater manufactured?

After 10 years of use, water heaters should be closely monitored or ideally, replaced. Quite often there are no visible signs of wear, so leaks can come as quite a surprise—and could cause a lot of damage. A water heater that bursts can spill an enormous quantity of water.

Are your plumbing fixtures protected by a backwater valve?

A backwater valve is a device that prevents wastewater from backing up into your basement (during heavy rainfall, for example). Backflow can occur in a sink, toilet, shower, or laundry tub. Regulations require easy access to these devices so that they can be checked regularly to ensure they operate properly.

If your residence is equipped with one, it may be located at ground level or above ground, usually near the water main, three to four feet from a foundation wall. It may be a good idea to have a plumber take a look to eliminate any concerns.

Floor-level valve

Floor-level valve
The only visible part is usually
a round cover.

Above-ground valve

Above-ground valve
If it is in a wall, a trapdoor should provide access.

What is your electrical system’s capacity?

Electrical capacity is most often indicated on the panel above the main circuit breaker. It may also be indicated on a certification label affixed to the electrical panel door. Capacity is indicated in amps (symbol: A). When in doubt about your system’s capacity, feel free to call an electrician.

What material are your plumbing fixtures made of? (information required for some properties only)

Water pipes are visible directly under the sink or near the water heater. They may be made of copper, plastic—notably polybutylene, which is most often gray and bears the initials Poly-B, P-Butylene, or PB—or another type of material.

How safe are your aluminum electrical cables? (information required for some properties only)

Commonly used in buildings constructed in the 1960s and 1970s, aluminum cables require special attention to prevent them from posing a fire risk. It is important to know, for example, that these cables are totally incompatible with electrical outlets and switches equipped with brass or copper screw terminals. Aluminum cables bear the initials AL or ALCAN on the outside. If you think you have this type of cable, consult an electrician to ensure it’s safe.

Note: Information provided is for illustrative purposes only and does not constitute or replace the advice of experts. All verifications should be conducted safely and, if required, by a skilled professional. The Personal assumes no liability in connection therewith.