Claims - Home : Frequently asked questions

Answers to the questions most frequently asked about home group insurance claims.

Questions about the claims process for your home?

Accident or loss?

Count on us 24/7



If you make a claim, your claims advisor will need various documents, including:

  • Receipts
  • Proof of ownership (such as photographs, user manuals, and warranties)
  • A list of stolen or damaged property

If one of your appliances causes water damage or a fire, keep the appliance so that we can examine it as part of your insurance claim.

Make a list of the stolen or damaged items so that we can add them to your claim: (PDF) List of property

If you need to file a claim following a loss, your insurer will require proof of the loss.
This term refers to proof of possession, ideally, the original bill of sale. Other documents, however, may be accepted, such as:

  • User manual/operating instructions
  • Appraisals
  • Warranty cards
  • Credit card or bank account statements

A Proof of Loss form must be certified by a notary public or commissioner of oaths. Once an insurer receives proof of loss, the claim must be processed quickly. Insurers have:

  • 7 days to let you know if they’re going to repair or replace the damaged property
  • 60 days to either pay compensation or reject the claim

You need to file a police report in the following situations:

  • Theft or attempted theft
  • Fire
  • If a vehicle hits your house

A deductible is the amount you must pay when you make an insurance claim.

For example, if you have a $500 deductible, you pay the first $500 of the repair costs, and we pay the rest.

Your home insurance includes basic coverage against certain types of water damage, such as damage caused by sudden breaks or leaks in your plumbing system or broken household appliances like dishwashers. If you want more protection, we also offer a range of water damage coverages options, including:

Water Damage – Ground water and sewer back-up (Endorsement 16c)

Flood caused by the overflow of a body of water (Endorsement 16d)

Water damage - Above ground water and weight of ice, snow or sleet (Endorsement 42)

How much insurance do I need?

To calculate how much insurance you really need for water damage, you should estimate the value of your home and belongings.

Bear in mind that your insurance amount needs to be enough to cover not only damage to your home and belongings, but also any additional living expenses if your home is so badly damaged that you have to stay somewhere else during the repairs.

If you're already a customer, contact an agent for helpful advice on water damage coverage. If not, get an online quote for homeowners, condo owners or tenants. . It’s quick, easy and commitment free. Or call us to get a quote by phone.

Take immediate steps to minimize the damage.

Water damage: cut off the water supply line and, if you can, move affected furniture and items to a dry place. Learn more about what to do if there’s water damage in your home.

Theft: call your local police immediately. Learn more about what to do if your home is burglarized.

Fire: call the fire department right away. Even a small fire can spread quickly if it’s not brought under control. Learn more about what to do if there’s a fire in your home.

To make a claim, you can call us or file your claim online. We’ll get your claim started and help you deal with the emergency.

To reduce the risk of a future loss, read our Prevention tips.

Frost and the weight of ice or snow are just some of the things that can damage your pool or hot tub.

Getting the right protection

When you get a home insurance policy with us, you can add optional coverage to insure:

Your above-ground or semi-inground swimming pool, including equipment and accessories, as well as attached patios that are not connected to the house


Your in-ground swimming pool or hot tub, including equipment and accessories, as well as attached patios that are not connected to the house

Accident or loss?

Count on us 24/7—by phone or online

Find a recommended provider

Need help fast? Choose from our network of recommended providers. We take care of everything, and you get top quality service.


  • Emergency cleanup
  • Renovation


Reasons to choose a recommended provider

  • Work gets started sooner
  • Detailed work plan, so you can track progress
  • Five-year warranty on work
  • Efficient, professional service
  • The information on this page is provided for informational purposes only. The terms and conditions of the coverages described are set out in the home insurance policy, which always prevails. Certain conditions, limitations and exclusions may apply.