Claims - Pet :

Frequently asked questions

Pet insurance claim?

Pet insurance claims

How does the payment and claim reimbursement process work?

When you take your dog or cat for veterinary treatment, pay the full amount of your bill at the clinic, have your vet’s office sign the form (PDF), and then submit the completed claim form to us along with your receipts. You’ll be reimbursed for 80% of the covered costs of veterinary treatment (20% is the co-insurance portion).

Your annual deductible will be subtracted from your payment until the specified deductible amount has been satisfied.

What does 20% co-insurance mean?

Your "co-insurance" is the portion of the pet insurance claim that you, the policyholder, must pay. With The Personal Pet Insurance Program, we pay 80% of your veterinary fees, and you are responsible for the remaining 20%.

What's a deductible?

The deductible is a fixed amount which you are responsible for. This amount is deducted from your claim after co-insurance has been applied. With our coverage, you only have to pay one annual deductible, no matter how many insurance claims you have throughout the year. You are not required to pay the annual deductible in years that you do not claim. The deductible is based on your pet’s age.

In a claim situation, how do the 20% co-insurance and the deductible work?

The co-insurance is applied first and then the deductible. The following example will show you how your claim payout is calculated. Suppose you submit a claim in the amount of $1,000:

Calculation Amount
Claim amount $1,000
20% co-insurance (20% x $1,000) -$200
Deductible applied ($100) -$100
Reimbursement $700
Sample calculation

Once the deductible amount has been satisfied, additional claims submitted during the same policy period are not subject to a deductible. However, because your deductible is annual, if you submit a claim after your pet insurance policy renews, a new annual deductible will apply.

Co-insurance applies to every claim. However, the full deductible only applies to the policy period.

How quickly will I be reimbursed when I file a claim?

Typically, Petline Insurance Company is able to process your claim reimbursement within 5 to 10 business days of receiving your claim. More complex claims (such as those which involve multiple conditions) may take longer. In the event of a claim delay, such as an incomplete claim form, they’ll notify you in writing.

How will I receive my reimbursement?

You’ll receive a cheque by mail. However, when you choose direct withdrawal from your bank account as your payment method for monthly insurance premiums, we can also direct deposit your claims reimbursements. This is optional though, so you’ll have to speak to a customer service agent to make this request.

If I make many claims, will my premiums or deductibles go up?

No. We expect you to use your coverage and to make ongoing claims throughout the life of your dog or cat. Neither your deductible nor your premiums will increase as a result of the number of pet insurance claims you make.

Are there any delays (waiting periods) between the time I enroll and the time my pet's coverage begins?

Under all levels of coverage the accident waiting period is only 48 hours and the illness waiting period is 14 days. There’s also a 6 month waiting period for dental coverage.

What if my question isn't answered here?

Petline has P&C insurance agents that are happy to help you. If you have any questions pertaining to our plan or your levels of coverage, call the Customer Centre toll-free at 1-855-343-9385. If your question concerns a claim, please call 1-800-581-0580.


Pet insurance claim?

Call us at 1-800-581-0580

The information on this page is provided for informational purposes only. The terms and conditions of the coverages described are set out in the insurance policy, which always prevails. Certain conditions, limitations and exclusions may apply.

The Personal Pet Insurance Program is underwritten by Petline Insurance Company and is distributed in Quebec by Missisquoi Insurance Company.