Ground water damage and sewer back-up
Home insurance that works for you
Try our simplified quote and start saving!
Do you have enough coverage for ground water damage?
Protection against Ground water damage and sewer back-up (excluding flood caused by the overflow of a body of water) (found in Endorsement 16c) is one of the most important types of home insurance coverage you can get. Do you know what’s down in the basement and how much it’s worth? And would you have enough coverage in the event of water damage?
- Do you have a finished basement?
If your basement is fully furnished and decorated, you want enough insurance to cover all the contents if water damage occurs.
- Do you have new furniture, a home theatre, tools or other valuable items? Take the time to estimate and inventory the value of your belongings$nbsp;, Link opens in a new window. $nbsp;, Important: This PDF is intended for printing. It has not been optimized for screen readers..
How much would it cost to repair your basement? On top of materials (e.g., flooring), remember to think about drying, disinfecting, cleaning and renovations.
Do you need additional coverage for ground water damage?
Contact one of our agents at any time to talk about additional insurance coverage.
What causes water damage in basements?
- Sump pumps can break and the water in retention tanks can overflow, damaging items in basements
- Heavy rain can cause municipal sewers to overflow, which could then cause water to back up through toilets, showers, washing machines or floor drains
- Heavy rain can cause ground water build-up that seeps in through basement windows
- Tree roots can grow into and clog foundation drains, causing water to seep into basements through the foundation
How to prevent water damage
- Direct gutter runoff away from the house
- Make sure the ground around your house slopes away so that water doesn’t accumulate
- Repair any cracks in the foundation
- Make sure the plumbing system in your basement includes:
- At least one fully functional backwater valve
- A water discharge pump connected to a retention tank
Prevent water damage and save on your home insurance! Learn more about our water damage prevention discounts.
Take advantage of our water damage coverages, our AlertTM program, a smart leak detection system, and prevention advice for complete peace of mind with our water damage solutions.
- The text on this page is for information only and does not constitute or replace advice provided by experts. All inspections should be conducted safely and, if required, by skilled professionals.
- The Personal assumes no liability in connection with the use of this information.
TM Alert is a trademark of Desjardins General Insurance Group Inc., used under licence