How to limit damage
Following recent violent winds in your region, we suggest a few tips to prevent any damage you may have sustained from becoming worse.
- Carry out any emergency repairs*
For example, board up broken windows to avoid water infiltration.
- Contact a roofer if any repairs to the roof are needed*
- Secure the premises
Pick up branches and other debris that could cause injury or damage.
- Contact a tree pruner
If you have a tree that is damaged or likely to fall and cause damage, call a professional.*
- Make an inventory of your damaged property
(PDF) List of property
- Take photos of the damage
Once the situation is under control, call a claims advisor to open your claim.
For more information, read the disaster prevention tips from the Ministry of Community Safety & Correctional Services of Ontario and the Government of Canada's list of key steps to take during an emergency.
*Refer to your insurance policy to determine the scope of your coverage. Keep receipts for all expenses incurred in protecting or preserving your property.
These tips are provided for information only and are not all inclusive. They neither constitute nor replace the advice of an expert.
- The information on this page is provided for informational purposes only. The terms and conditions of the coverages described are set out in the home insurance policy, which always prevails. Certain conditions, limitations and exclusions may apply.