Incident involving your liability: What to do?
What to do in 5 steps
Maybe a delivery person fell down your stairs and broke a leg, or your youngest son broke a neighbour's window while playing ball. Don't worry—the civil liability portion of your home insurance is designed to protect you when this kind of event happens. We're here to guide you through the claims process.
After the incident
- Exchange contact information with the person who suffered damage or injury
- Call the police if necessary
- Don't try to settle the matter directly with the other party
- Don't admit liability
- Take photos of the premises where the incident took place and of the damage
Call our claims department at By phone:1-888-785-5502, as soon as you think that a liability claim may be made against you
When you call our claims department, we suggest you have your home insurance policy on hand.
First contact with the claims department
(This call could take up to 30 minutes)
The claims department agent who takes your call will:
- Take your full statement on the circumstances of the incident
- Check your insurance coverage
- Tell you which documents to send in or which ones will be sent to you
- Give you your claim number
Your claim will be assigned to one of our claims advisors
Your claims advisor has the training and knowledge required to handle your claim and advise you throughout the process.
Your claims advisor will:
Contact the different parties to analyze the claim:
- People who were injured or incurred the damage
- Any witnesses to the incident
- The police, if they were involved
- The opposing party's claims advisor
Ask you to send in the relevant documents:
- The formal notice you received, where applicable
- Estimate, invoice or any other supporting documents relating to the damages or injuries
Perform a complete analysis of the claim based on the information received
Liability is determined based on the circumstances of the incident.
The circumstances are generally found in:
- the police report, if any (it may take a few weeks to get the police report)
- the statements of all the parties involved and any witnesses
Please note that liability can rarely be determined when you first call the claims department, as the circumstances of the incident have to be analyzed.
If you are liable for the damage or injury
The claims advisor will attempt to settle your claim with the insurance representative of the injured party.
Once your claim is settled, your claims advisor will obtain a release from the injured party to protect you from any further claims.
If the settlement is not accepted, legal action could be brought against you. In this case, your policy may provide for a defense and legal counsel to defend you, provided the coverage applies.
We close the claim when the injured party has signed and returned the release and all the payments have been made.
We hope that your claim will be settled to your satisfaction.
Find a recommended provider
Is immediate action required? Choose from our network of recommended providers. We take care of everything, and you get top quality service.
- Emergency cleanup
Reasons to choose a recommended provider
- Work gets started sooner
- Detailed work plan, so you can track progress
- Five-year warranty on work
- Efficient, professional service
- The information on this page is provided for informational purposes only. The terms and conditions of the coverages described are set out in the insurance policy, which always prevails. Certain conditions, limitations and exclusions may apply.